Winter holiday in the Allgäu
The cold season offers the perfect basis for many activities.
The area around Schwangau and the Tegelberg is a winter paradise. The combination of plains and mountains means that everyone can find their favourite winter sport, for example cross-country skiing in the classic style, skating, alpine skiing, snowboarding, tobogganing or snowshoe trekking.
Enchanting winter scenery turns outdoor exercise into an experience.
Those who are not keen winter sports enthusiasts need not worry about getting bored. A nice walk or a horse-drawn carriage ride through the wintry landscape is a treat for the soul.
Those who like it more sporty have the option of walking one of the 50 kilometres of cleared winter hiking trails. How about a hike to one of the huts, for example, followed by a stop for a hearty snack and a well-deserved mulled wine?
On the Tegelberg, skiers, carvers and snowboarders can expect perfectly groomed pistes. The modern snow-cutting system in the valley ensures a higher level of snow safety. T-bar and cable car transport you comfortably to the piste. Another highlight is the floodlit run for "night-active" skiers at the Adler and Reith lifts.
Children can experience their first impressions on skis in Kinderland and learn to ski with the help of a course. For parents, Tegelberg offers a refresher course if it has been a while since the last downhill run.
Thanks to the local ski rental stations, you can also rent skis spontaneously.
For both skaters and classic cross-country skiers there is a varied, 32 km long network of trails. From easy to challenging, there is everything your heart desires.
A real experience is the 2 km long, snow-covered and floodlit Neuschwanstein trail. It passes directly below the royal castle and guarantees a magnificent panoramic view of Neuschwanstein Castle.
There is a special offer at the guest biathlon: here beginners and advanced skiers can try biathlon with laser rifles. Information is available at the Tourist Information Schwangau.
Off the slopes
- Schwangau and the surrounding area have a 50 km long, cleared network of paths on which you can wonderfully explore the landscape on a winter hike and marvel at the grandiose panorama.
- The frozen lakes invite you to ice skating, ice hockey or curling.
- Enjoy the snow-covered landscape on a romantic horse-drawn sleigh ride.
- Explore nature in deep snow - with snowshoes this is a great experience. The technique of walking with snowshoes is quickly learned.
- From 25 December, the impressive red deer feeding takes place daily near Schwangau-Brunnen, but only if there is snow.